Also titleholder Nadal skips US Open: ‘Prefer not to travel for the time being’

He had already more or less announced it, but now it’s official: Rafael Nadal will not participate in the US Open. Coronavirus or not, the grand slam tournament starts on August 31 in New York.

“This is a decision I never wanted to make, but this time I follow my heart. For the time being, I’d rather not travel. It doesn’t look like we have the coronavirus under control”, says the 34-year-old Spanish title holder on Twitter.

Nadal continues: “The abridged tennis calendar is barbaric when you know we haven’t played for four months. Anyway, I appreciate all the effort everyone’s put into it.”

Nick Kyrgios and Ashleigh Barty (the number one woman) pulled out of fear of the coronavirus earlier for the US Open and Roger Federer will not be there because of a knee injury.

Bertens on participant list

All other stars are on the list of participants published today, including Kiki Bertens. This does not mean that the players will not be able to withdraw at a later stage.

For Nadal the road is now clear to his beloved Roland Garros, which starts two weeks after the US Open. At least if there is played in Paris, because earlier today it was also announced that the big gravel tournament in Madrid will not take place.

Djokovic rubs his hands

Oud-tennis star Kristie Boogert thinks that Novak Djokovic is rubbing his hands in the absence of Nadal and Federer in New York. There he can obtain his eighteenth Grand Prix title and catch up with Federer (20) and Nadal (19).

“I think he’s very keen on that record. Djokovic is also training adrift in Spain. He even ordered the US Open balls for that”, Boogert said on NPO Radio 1.