Amsterdam and Rotterdam stop with mouthguards obligation

Visitors of a number of busy places in Amsterdam and Rotterdam will no longer be required to wear a mouth cap from Monday 31 August. The trial will not be extended.

The trial with the mandatory mouth caps in parts of the cities began on 5 August and was open to everyone aged 13 and over. The experiment will be evaluated and the outcome of the research is expected in the course of September.

One of the places where the duty applied was the market on the Albert Cuypstraat in Amsterdam. But that is not yet overflowing with enthusiasm for abolishing the measure:

The experiment ends according to plan, both municipalities let us know. “It’s not about wearing mouth caps, but about the 1.5 meters,” says a spokesman for the city of Amsterdam. “If it’s less crowded, it’ll settle itself. We are now waiting for the evaluation to see if it has helped people to keep a distance of 1.5 meters in busy places.”

“If we see that the number of infections is increasing and the weather is getting busy, we can implement the measure again”, says the municipal spokesperson.

“Due to the less warm weather and the end of the tourist high season, it is now probably easier to keep a distance of 1.5 metres in the busiest places,” says the security region in Amsterdam.

Less customer base

The cities announced last weekend that they will issue faster fines to people who refuse to put on a mouthguard after a warning.

Before last week shopkeepers and property owners in Amsterdam and Rotterdam sounded the alarm about the measure, because it would be to the detriment of the customers

In Amsterdam, the measure is in force in areas such as the Red Light District and the shopping streets of Nieuwendijk and Kalverstraat. In Rotterdam, a mouth shield must be worn in parts of the city centre, including Coolsingel, Lijnbaan and Meent.

In Rotterdam, a mouth shield must be worn in parts of the city centre, including Coolsingel, Lijnbaan and Meent