The survivors of the victims of the US drone attack on an alleged IS target in the Afghan capital Kabul demand compensation. They also want a personal excuse.
Ezmarai Ahmadi had been mistakenly identified by the American intelligence agencies as an Islamic State militant. On August 29, his white Toyota was tracked for eight hours, as the Pentagon suspected that there was an IS bomb in the car. The car was then bombed. Ten people from the same Afghan family, including seven children, were killed in the attack.
US Army chief Frank McKenzie acknowledged an error had been made on Friday, after The New York Times questioned the events. McKenzie and US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin apologized.
However, the relatives of the family do not think this is sufficient. The brother of one of the fatalities, who also lost multiple nephews and nieces in the attack, told French news agency AFP that the US has not yet sought direct contact with the family.
“They have to offer compensation,” said Farshad Haidari to the news agency. He also calls on the US to “pick up and court those responsible.”
General McKenzie has said that the US is investigating how to compensate affected families for the damage suffered.