Bureaucracy gets in the way of transferring Luis Suárez to Juventus

It is possible that Luis Suárez will not make the switch from FC Barcelona to Juventus, despite the fact that the striker and the Old Lady have already reached a personal agreement.

According to the Spanish and Italian media, the slow progress in acquiring Italian citizenship is the problem for the Uruguayan. “Due to bureaucracy, Suárez will probably not be able to obtain an Italian passport until after 6 October (the transfer deadline in La Liga and Serie A is on 5 October, ed.)”, RAC1 paints the picture of the current situation. Suárez can easily obtain an Italian passport because of his wife‘s Italian ancestors, provided he passes a language test.

Suárez needs the Italian passport in order to be considered an EU citizen. Series A clubs are only allowed to contract two players from outside the European Union per transfer period and Juventus has already done so with Arthur (Brazil) and Weston McKennie (United States).

For Suárez, it would mean that a transfer to Juve would be in jeopardy. On 6 October, teams will also have to announce their selections for the group stage of the Champions League. The club of Cristiano Ronaldo and Matthijs de Ligt, among others, would then not be able to give up Suárez for the billiard ball. Whether the striker and Juventus are waiting for that remains to be seen.

Ronald Koeman, the new coach of FC Barcelona, had already announced that Suárez could leave. The Dutch practice master had therefore not selected striker for the first practice match of Blaugrana against Tarragona. However – given the new developments surrounding Suárez – the third most scoring Barça player ever will probably get a spot in the match selection for the practice game with Girona, which is scheduled for Wednesday (19.00 hours).

Technical director Ramon Planes was asked, during the official presentation of Miralem Pjanic, about the future of Suárez. Eric Abidal’s successor did not give a complete answer as to whether or not he will remain the striker at Camp Nou. “Suárez is, and has been in recent years, an important player for us”, said Planes. “As I said before, we have a lot of respect for the players who have given everything to the club. It is clear that – after what happened at the end of last season – we are in a process of change, with a new coach and new ideas”

Planes wants to respect the players and their contracts as much as possible, he says. “The transfer market will close on 5 October and until then a lot can still happen. But everything will be done with the greatest respect for the players and the club”

Whether Suárez will prolong his stay in the Catalan capital is uncertain. Since the 33-year-old goalgetter also has offers from other clubs on the table, RAC1 is able to report.