The evening bell measure is extended until 2 March. This means that for more than three weeks no one is allowed to go out on the streets after 9 p.m., for no good reason, the demissionary cabinet has decided. The measure officially expires on Wednesday morning at 4.30 a.m.
The measure thus equals the rest of the restrictions in the current lockdown, such as the closure of catering and non-essential shops. These also apply until 2 March. If the contamination figures give rise to this, curfew, like other measures, can be abolished earlier.
Demissionary Minister Grapperhaus said, following a consultation with the most concerned ministers, that the OMT is not yet able to say whether the curfew has the intended effect on the contamination. “They can only do this after two weeks, so theyre short for a day,” said Grapperhaus.
“ But they clearly see that there are far fewer contact moments and visits in the evening and there is also much less mobility.” According to the Minister, the advice of the experts was to continue the curfew, given the still worrying figures and the emergence of the new variants.
On February 23, the Cabinet evaluates all the measures now in force, and the curfew separately. “It is a measure that presses heavily, and if we can stop earlier, we will do so,” said Grapperhaus.
Later this week Chamber debate
The curfew measure took effect on Saturday 23 January and was to apply at least until next Wednesday at 4.30 a.m. In recent days, more and more indicated that the measure would be extended. Prime Minister Rutte announced on Friday that it was a serious option.
In a parliamentary debate last week, the coalition parties said to support CDA and VVD an extension if necessary. There will be a debate later this week.
Demissionary Minister Grapperhaus explains: