Feyenoord has turned off an offer of fifty million euros to help the club out of its financial problems. That‘s what Football International reports Friday night.
The weekly is in possession of a presentation stating that Feyenoord received an offer worth fifty million euros in May of 2020. The offer has been refused by the Rotterdam club. Part of the fifty million was destined to regain full possession of De Kuip. The stadium was used as collateral with the American investment bank Goldman Sachs. Later in the year, the bid would have been made again.
Feyenoord did not have to give up shares in exchange for the 50 million euros, according to VI. The condition was that Feyenoord would buy the stadium back. Part of the rest of the money could be used to strengthen the selection and to address the overdue maintenance of the stadium.
Initially it went through DMK (De Moderne Kuip). DMK argues with a Plan B for a cheaper and renewed Kuip. However, the money came from the Rotterdam billionaire and investor Aat van Herk, who is also unable to jump for a new stadium. General Director Mark Koevermans of Feyenoord said last week that he was not familiar with the plan, but was an anonymous source in the conversation and confirms to VI that this is not true.
“Indeed, I was there and Feyenoord said no to Van Herk’s fifty million, so I was surprised when I heard Koevermans say this week that he does not know that plan. He was there himself,” says the source.
BREAKING! Feyenoord received an offer of fifty million euros to help the club out of the fire, but the club refused. https://t.co/EwTiTeT66d
— Football International (@VI_nl) March 26, 2021