US General Mark Milley, the highest military man in the US, is said to have secretly called twice with his Chinese counterpart because he was concerned that then-President Donald Trump would unleash a war with China, reports The Washington Post.
Miley is said to have called Chinese general Li Zuocheng for the first time on October 30, 2020, when Trumps upcoming election defeat was already coming. The second conversation followed, according to the newspaper on January 8, 2021, two days after Trump supporters stormed the Capitol to prevent Congress from ratifying Trumps electoral defeat.
In the calls, Milley would have assured Li Zuocheng that the United States was “stable” and would not attack. If there were any attack, he would warn Li Zuocheng right away. The Washington Post relies on the next weeks book Peril by journalists Bob Woodward and Robert Costa. Woodward and Costa say their findings are based on interviews with more than 200 sources.
Trump called the coverage of Milley “made up” in a statement Tuesday, but also said that if the story had been true, Miley would have to be tried for high treason. He also stated, “For the record, I never thought of attacking China.”