The 279 schoolgirls who were abducted in Nigeria last Friday were released. That‘s what the governor of the northwestern province of Zamfara reports on Twitter. “I am happy to report that the kidnapped girls are free again,” he writes.
He also tweeted pictures of vans with schoolgirls. Nothing is said about the condition of the children.
The police commander of the region says that the girls are healthy and happy:
some time, it was unclear about how many girls were involved. Previously, 317 abducted children were reported. A regional security commissioner said that the number was not correct. He told the BBC that 279 girls have been released and no one else is in custody. The governor also reports that they are 279 children.
A father of one of the girls told news agency Reuters on Saturday that seven children had escaped.
Armed men invaded the Government Girls Junior Secondary School in Jangebe on Friday. It’s unclear whether they belong to a gang. It is also not known whether they have been ransom.
In December, school children were abducted 200 kilometres away and earlier last month this happened in Kagara.