According to the U.S. Attorney, Washington, D.C., there‘s no direct evidence that the Capitol stormmers planned to kidnap and kill politicians last week. Prosecutor Michael Sherwin responded to earlier reports that there is evidence for such liquidation plans.
The charges against a man from Arizona who participated in the storming state that there are strong indications that the attackers had kidnapping and liquidation plans. It’s about the charges against Jacob Chansley, the man who showed up in the Capitol without a shirt, painted face and bison horns.
The prosecutors of Arizona write in a request to the judge to hold Chansley prisoner for the time being that there is “strong evidence, including Chansley‘s own words and deeds, that the intent of the stormers was to abduct and kill elected politicians”.
In response to the words of his colleagues in Arizona, Prosecutor Sherwin said at a press conference in Washington that his office is leading the investigation, and that he has not yet seen any evidence for these liquidation plans. However, according to him, it may be that not all the evidence that prosecutors have collected in other states is already known in Washington.
According to The New York Times, the FBI suspects 37 people of involvement in the death of Brian Sicknick, the police officer who was severely injured on the day of the storm and died in the hospital one day later. Sicknick would have been hit by a fire extinguisher. Fourteen other Capitol Police officers, according to the FBI, were injured in the storm.
Meanwhile, Washington is increasingly becoming a fortress in the run-up to the inauguration of incoming President Biden next Wednesday. The entire National Mall, the kilometre-long strip around which all the major museums, the White House and the Capitol are located, is certainly restricted to the public until 21 January. According to a government official, an estimated 25,000 reservists from the National Guard are coming to the capital.
Pence’s calling Harris
While President Trump still does not recognize Joe Biden‘s victory, Vice President Pence has called his successor Kamala Harris to congratulate her and offer his help in transferring his duties. That’s what anonymous government officials have said to American media. According to them, the on-going Vice President and the coming Vice President had “a good conversation”.
Back to last week; this is what happened: