Regime Myanmar lets Facebook block

The new military regime in Myanmar has blocked access to Facebook because of the calls for civil disobedience there. Residents of the country would like to protest against Sunday‘s coup d’état, in which the government elected in November was deposed of leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

Facebook urges the military to revoke the blockade, so that the people in Myanmar can connect with their family and friends and have access to important information.

At and after the coup d‘état 147 people were arrested, says a political prisoner organisation. Among the arrests are members of the government, including Suu Kyi himself.

The army accuses her of possessing illegally imported walkie-talkies. There are reports that she’s under house arrest in the capital Naypyidaw, but that hasn‘t been officially confirmed.

Tens of thousands followers

The civil disobedience movement says not to stop until the lawfully elected government of Suu Kyi has returned. The movement got in a short time on Facebook many tens of thousands of followers. Among them are doctors of hospitals. Yesterday they laid down their work in, among others, the capital Naypyidaw and Yangon.

Yangon residents heard a noise protest last night for the second consecutive evening. They beat each other with pots and pans and honked with their cars.

Tuesday evening noise protest and citizens reactions to the coup d‘état:

There are also citizens who support the coup d’état. In Naypyidaw attracted a statement of support to the coup armies thousands of participants.

Fraud accusation

The army seized power this weekend shortly before the opening session of parliament, at which new MPs would be sworn in. Some 400 MPs were detained in a government building. Later they were told that they could go home, but about 70 of them came together in a symbolic session to take their oath and make it clear that they, and not the army, are the legislative power.

The army says it has put the civilian government aside because the army‘s complaints about fraud in the November elections were not dealt with. It would have counted 8.6 million cases of fraud.

Suu Kyi’s party obtained an absolute majority in those elections. According to observers, the elections were conducted fairly.

The army has declared a state of emergency and says it will remain in force for at least a year. Then there will be new elections and the army will transfer power to the winner, according to a statement from the new rulers.