The Eurovision Song Contest will go on anyway next year, the organisation of the song festival has announced in event hall Ahoy. The song festival, which was cancelled this spring because of the corona measures, will take place in Rotterdam again. An agreement with the municipality was signed today.
However, it is still far from clear what the event will look like next May. That depends on the corona situation, let the organisation know. “The ambition remains to organise a Eurovision Song Contest in which as many visitors and participants as possible can attend,” says the organisation.
Because of the uncertainty, the organisation has four scenarios in mind with which it will work. Gradually it should become clear which scenario is the most realistic next spring.
These are the four scenarios:
A normal song festival, just as usual with thousands of spectators in the hall and several shows, three of them on television. There will also be all kinds of events in and around Rotterdam. According to the organisation, this scenario is only feasible if there is a vaccine for the corona virus on time or if there are all kinds of reliable rapid tests on the market. A one-and-a-half-metre song festival with less audience and slimmed-down country delegations. In this scenario, all performances will simply come from Rotterdam, but there will be much less audience. The activities around the song festival will also be adjusted. People who already had a ticket and then get raffled off will get their money back. Song festival with travel restrictions. If there are still travel restrictions for certain areas next year, some participants may perform in their own country via a live connection. In Rotterdam Ahoy there will be less audience, just like in scenario two. Lockdown-Song Contest. Should the Netherlands have to deal with corona measures next year similar to this spring, it will be a song festival without an audience and no activities. The television show will be from Ahoy, but the participants will perform via live connections in their own country
According to Sietse Bakker, who organises the song festival, the last scenario is the least likely: “If we were to organise the festival right now, it would be a variant between scenario 2 and 3, i.e. with the audience at a distance from each other and with some travel restrictions” The organisation says it will decide somewhere between the end of January and the beginning of March 2021.
The previously appointed presenters Chantal Janzen, Edsilia Rombley and Jan Smit may also present the festival in 2021, just like youtuber Nikkie de Jager. She will make online videos around the event.
The final of the Eurovision Song Contest 2021 will be on 22 May. In the same week there will be two semi-finals on Tuesday and Thursday (18 and 20 May) in which the participating countries will try to qualify for the final.
Singer Jeangu Macrooy will take part in the event on behalf of the Netherlands. He would also participate in this years edition. Macrooy will come up with a new song; the organisation of the Eurovision Song Contest has decided that all this years songs will not be allowed to participate in next years edition.
Watch here how the Netherlands won and organised the Song Contest earlier: