Two Spaniards who had been abducted in Burkina Faso have died, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez said on Tuesday. The two journalists were recording for a documentary when they were taken hostage by a group of Islamists together with an Irishman on Monday. They attacked a patrol that acted against poachers in the east of Burkina Faso. The government of that country later announced that the Irishman had also been murdered.
The abducted were part of a group of military, forest rangers and foreign journalists. The armed terrorists who attacked the convoy with about 40 people in the east of the country used two pickups and engines.
The two Spanish men were working on a documentary about poaching in a nature reserve. Their bodies have been recovered. What exactly happened at the time of the attack is unclear, said the Spanish Foreign Minister Arancha Gonzalez Laya. “Its a dangerous area where terrorist groups, poachers, criminals and jihadists are active.”
The former French colony has been dealing with violence by Islamists from neighbouring Mali for years. That killed nearly 1100 people, more than a million people fleeing.